Thursday, March 27, 2008

Article Challenge #4

Learning Objective(s): After completing this challenge, you will be able to select a database (or database set) appropriate to your topic and effectively construct a search strategy using a keyword (or combination of keywords) to find an article on your topic.

Challenge: Work with a partner to complete the following:

1. Select one of the available topics and determine the keyword(s) you will type in the search box.

2. Navigate to a database set, choose database(s) to search and perform a search for a full-text, peer-reviewed article on that topic.

3. Examine your first page of results and refine your search, if necessary (hint: notice the yellow box on the left side of the blog - it contains terms you might use to focus or re-direct your search) Keep your results list window open - you will need to get back to it later

4. Click on "Post a Comment" and report the following:
Database searched, keyword(s) used, did you find a good full-text article? - why or why not? - review your process and try to determine what went wrong

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I searched Academic Search Premier and ERIC. I typed reading comprehension and early childhood into the search engine. It worked really well and I found the peer reviewed article I am going to use.

Anonymous said...

I found a great article that I liked. It found the search to be extremely easy and worked really well. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I searched Academic Search Premier and looked under the key words Elementary School and reading and fluency and did not get any resuls. When I put in reading and fluency only I receive results but all at the middle school level.

Anonymous said...

I found an article that I found very interesting.

Anonymous said...

I searched Academic Search Premier and ERIC and used the keyword "phonics". I did find an excellent full-text article about phonics in education.

Anonymous said...

I found a good article when I revised my search. I looked in Eric under full text. I was able to find a good article because I researched specific words.